[wplug] CMU installfest this Friday 7th Feb

Benjamin G. Beige gunnar at zbzoom.net
Wed Feb 5 12:34:10 EST 2003

One of the biggest problems i've had w/ RH 8.0 is that alot of the SW I've tried to
use that relies on X dosen't even want to compite. Programs such as kMUD and SClient
I also didn't liek having to go out and grab MP3 suport form other scources, though
with the install of apt4rpm I could grab the xmms-mp3 package. but all in all it looks
pretty, hides alot of the KDE apps in kde w/ the gnome programs being the primary choices
of RH, thier _Unified_ aproch.

2/5/2003 12:02:22 PM, "Vanco, Donald" <VANCOD at PIOS.com> wrote:

>Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 11:13, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>>> Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> 	Russ was correct - ALL distros from Red Hat that are ".0" releases
>>> are KNOW to be buggy.  If you run it and have issues with it guess
>>> 	what - that's expected. What, exactly, is Red Hats "
>>> "I-did-it-my-way" mentality" - I'm really dying to know what that
>>> means.
>>
>> By that I mean arbitrary choices that create incompatibilities with
>> other distributions and/or distribution-neutral applications. gcc 2.96
>> is a prime example,
>	Yes - that was bad.  Ancient history - can we move on now?
>
>> the way they changed the location of installed
>> programs is another (/opt ignored, everything in /usr and even
>> programs like OpenOffice.org in /usr/lib/ !),
>	Portions of that are LSB compliance, other portions a matter of
>choice.  Why is /usr/lib and invalid location for an application that spans
>multiple functions?
>
>> the fact that they
>> don't do newbies a favor and install a default /usr/src/linux/.config
>> messing up many configure scripts...
>	Umm - see: /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs - every config file for every
>kernel is in there.  You can also simply run a "make oldconfig".  Newbies
>should RTFM.
>

>> That kind of thing. Anything requiring special attention, just because
>> RedHat decided to change something and not follow a convention (be it
>> directory standards, official releases of compiles, in-house
>> kernel/XFree patches that create behavior inconsistent with the
>> vanilla sources).
>
>	So then what becomes the point of releasing a new distro?  Release
>notes are there for a reason - because there _are_ things that are going to
>require special attention.  Doc files are there for a reason.  LSB
>compliance is the convention RH is following that's causing much of the
>change in structure.  If Red Hat ran someone else's kernel it wouldn't be
>Red Hat - name me the distro that does not apply a single kernel patch - in
>house or otherwise.  If by "behavior inconsistent with the vanilla sources"
>you mean "it actually works as expected" - guess which one I'm for?
>
>Don

* Benjamin G. Beige                       *
* Webmaster for Adventures Unlimited      *
* Web Page:  http://au.betterbox.net      *
* Email:     gunnar at zbzoom.net            *