[wplug] Finally!!!!!

Roc&Jes pebble at pennswoods.net
Wed Feb 5 07:34:38 EST 2003

Already contacted them :)

Jessica

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Schmertz <rschmertz at speakeasy.net>
To: <wplug at wplug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: [wplug] Finally!!!!!

> Please consider making a Web page of this; it looks very useful and
> fairly thorough.  There is a website called www.linux-on-laptops.net
> that is an unofficial database for just such information.  See if you
> can get in contact with the maintainers of that site and have them link
> to your page.  Don't worry if it's not perfect, just throw in whatever
> disclaimers make you comfortable.  Sounds like this is not a good laptop
> to buy if you're planning to put Linux on it, but sometimes people find
> themselves in situations like yours, where they already have the laptop
> and decide on Linux later.  In this case, some information is better
> than none.
>
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 13:19, Roc&Jes wrote:
> > Well it took us about a month but we finally did it.  We got RH 8.0 on a
Compaq Presario 900Z and it works great!!  We would like to thank all of you
who gave us your input and helped us out.  So for those who are still out
there with this problem, here is exactly what we did to get it working.

> > First you need to change your BIOS to boot from the CD-rom.  Put the cd
in and reboot.  When the menu screen first comes up hit      F4 Kernel

> > Then at the boot prompt type    linux pci=off
> > It will start the installation from there. When it comes time to choose
your boot, keep GRUB and at the bottom click on the box for ADVANCED BOOT
OPTIONS.

> > Keep the kernel command and add this after  SCSI,        noisapnp nousb
pci=conf2
> > Click next and the installation should be a breeze.
> >
> > When the system reboots after the packages are installed it will ask you
for your monitor. Choose VESA generic for the monitor and for the model
choose   COMPAQ and then go into that and choose COMPAQP900 COLOR MONITOR.

> > DO NOT TOUCH THE SOUND TEST BUTTON.  It might lock it up. In earlier
attempts to install, when clicked, it locked up the whole system.  (So we
never touch it).  Besides, you wont have any sound anyway.

> > From there, there should be no problems running the program.  Other than
the little quirks, it runs flawlessly.

> > The only problem we seem to have found, is that when we go to shut the
system down, it puts the computer into sleep mode but the screen stays on.
We need to unplug the computer to totally shut it off.  If anyone can solve
this little problem let us know.  :)