[wplug] CMU installfest this Friday 7th Feb

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at mac.com
Tue Feb 4 23:10:06 EST 2003

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 10:43  AM, Nick Iglehart wrote:

> It has to be understood that any software's first release is going to
> be buggy.  While Microsoft releases major versions and then slowly
> updates them, Linux vendors tend to release major versions and then
> release minor versions as updates.  Any .0 release is going to have
> issues and that is why it is generally recommended to wait for .1's,
> although I generally wait for .3's.

Remember, one of the mottos of the Open Source movement is (to quote
ESR[1]):

"Release Early, Release Often." [2]

So, complaining about an unpolished or buggy release is really kind of
silly.  If you want stability, run an release that's been used for a
while.

Jonathan Billings

1. Eric Raymond. [3]
2. _The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar_,
http://www.openresources.com/documents/cathedral-bazaar/main.html
3. No, I don't know what the S stands for, and I'm not really
interested in finding out.