[wplug] Laptops

steve j. kondik shade at chemlab.org
Tue Feb 4 10:41:11 EST 2003

ACPI = advanced configuration and power interface.  its kind of like
APM, but smarter.  it can handle irq routing and all sorts of automatic
configuration.  the DSDT is the code in the ACPI BIOS that describes the
hardware.  compaq laptops in particular have buggy DSDT's and usually
need small fixes to work with the linux ACPI stuff (the presarios and
the evos need this).  ACPI was created by intel and they are heading up
the code in the linux kernel for it.  you can get the latest patches at
http://acpi.sourceforge.net.

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 10:20, Henry Umansky wrote:
> I'm not familiar with that term, what is acpi and dsdt??
>
> --On Tuesday, February 04, 2003 9:58 AM -0500 "steve j. kondik"
> <shade at chemlab.org> wrote:r
>
> > watch out for acpi-only laptops.  most of the compaqs are this way.  you
> > can make them work, but usually not without decompiling the acpi dsdt
> > and patching the kernel.
> >

> > On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 09:37, Henry Umansky wrote:
> >> I'm in the market to buy a laptop and I would like some insight from you
> >> guys.  Here basically what I want:
> >>
> >> -full hardware support for linux (trying asking for this a few years ago)
> >> -dual-boot with windows (only for games and some work-related stuff)
> >> -video card that can handle my graphic intensive games (Wolfenstein,
> >> Morrowind, etc)
> >> -price range under $2000 if possible (willing to go up if I'm in a good
> >> mood that day)
> >> -don't care about support or customer service, but a somewhat decent
> >> warranty is a must
> >>
> >> I have a license through the University of Pittsburgh for any Windows
> >> OS,  so a laptop that comes without an OS would be awesome, although I
> >> won't  hold my breath. Right now IBM Thinkpad A series Value package is
> >> the front  runner, but I haven't done much research on Dell or Compaq
> >> laptops.  Any  information would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> -Henry
> >>
> >> ``understanding arises through making''
> >> -Giambattista Vico

> Henry Umansky