[wplug] suse

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Mon Feb 3 11:31:31 EST 2003

I run SuSE 7.3 on my desktop PC at home.

I love it !!

I picked up the Personal Edition which is loaded with desktop
type software, but light on power server software (most of which can be
downloaded from SuSE's ftp site).

My edition/version came with StarOffice 5.2 but I'm also running
OpenOffice.org1.0.

I really like Yast2's online update feature.

The machine is a dual boot with SuSE 7.3 and Red Hat 8.0.

In order to get Red Hat working, I had to swap my Yamaha sound card for a
Sound Blaster.
I'm just testing out the RedHat so I'll go back to my old sound card when
I'm done.

I just downloaded the updates for KDE3 and Gnome2 from SuSE's ftp site this
weekend and will attempt to install them next weekend.

I really appreciate SuSE's inclusion of JFS, XFS, Reiserfs as well as ext2/3
that can be chosen at install time.
RedHat supports other filesystems but tries to force you to use ext3. I like
Reiserfs so I have to use fdisk and mkreiserfs when I'm installing RedHat.

SuSE also makes setting up LVM fairly simple.

SuSE comes with TwoFish (encrypted loop device) encryption which I use to
keep personal files protected.
I can't find this for RedHat.

I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading but I hear kernel 2.6 is due
around mid '03 so I going to wait till after it's released.

-Bob