[wplug] SuSE Questions

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Tue Dec 30 10:54:48 EST 2003

Good morning, all,

I've been making use of the past few days to configure a "Media Server" for my
A/V setup. I decided to use SuSE since I wanted something that was easy to
setup and that my girlfriend wouldn't mind  using.

Coming from a Gentoo, Slackware and *BSD background, some things are confusing
me, so I have a few questions:

1. One of the network adapters on the system is USB (due to lack of PCI
slots). It works without any problems, except that durring startup the
network tries to start itself before hotplug is initiated... therefore the
network device doesn't d exist when it tries to run. I tried to move the /
etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S05network link to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S08network (hotplug is 07),
but at each reboot or after installing new packages, it appears to "fix"
itself and put it back at 05. Is there any way to make this more permanent? I
looked in the YaST runlevel editor, but it doesn't allow control over the
startup order, so far as I can tell.

2. The volume level seems to reset itself to 0 for both Master and PCM after
each reboot, as well as muting both channels. Is there any way to get it to
save the volume levels between boots?

3. DVD playback is poor. I installed libdvdcss and have even tried using
non-protected DVDs, but the playback is choppy. It will play, then stutter.
Based on the lights on the drive, I think that the reason is that the DVD
drive taking too long to read data. (The video will pause, -then- the drive
will light-up) Any suggestions for improved performance?

4. I am attempting to use apt-get to install Freevo (MythTV gave me problems
compiling). It gives an error that YaST reported too:
     "OpenOffice_org: Depends: libjawt.so but it is not installable"
libjawt.so is in /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/lib/i386/, and that directory is in /
etc/ld.so.conf
Is there any way to force apt-get and YaST to either ignore what they view as
a problem or get them to ignore it? I'm not even trying to update  the OOo
packages.

Sorry about the longish list... figured it was better to send one large email
than several smaller ones.

Thanks so much!
  --Ben Slavin