[wplug] Redhat moves - help please

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Dec 31 09:55:14 EST 2003

Wise, Jeremey  wrote:
> Watch updating the kernel. I would do it but watch out for the updater
> getting the lilo.conf or grub.conf files wrong. I got burned twice in
> updating my RH 7.2 and RH 7.3 firewalls. Just make sure the file it
> references under the new entries exist and have the correct
> path. Make sure
> to rerun lilo if that is the boot loader you are using.

	Never up2date a kernel.
	Set up2date to download only.
	Run up2date, get all packages ("up2date -fu" from command line).
	cd /var/spool/up2date.
	Move *kernel* somewhere.
	"rpm -Uvh *.rpm" on local packages.   (Why -U?  Because there may be
required dep packages present)
	rpm -Ivh *.rpm on wherever the kernels got moved to.
	Reboot to new kernel and verify full functionality.
	When happy, rpm -e kernel-blah-blah.blah.blah (old kernels)

Don