[wplug] Need Help from other Gentoo Users

Gentgeen S. gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Dec 24 09:32:01 EST 2003

First, I want to appolgize if this ends up being a double post.  I posted 24hr. ago, but have not seen it on the list yet. On witht the post ---

First some background info -- you can probably skip it if you are in a hurry, but figure it might help --

1 month ago, I bought a Linux Format Magazine that included Gentoo 1.4.  I have been wanting to update my desktop machine (Redhat 7.2) and thought this would be a great choice.  I just waited till x-mas break to get started (I'm a school teacher) since I knew that Gentoo would take some time.  Anyway, the CD did not include GNOME, just KDE.  The next month, Linux Format Magazine included GNOME 2.4 and all required files.  SWEET!! -- now I can have my new Gentoo system, and be able to use fluxbox and GNOME,my two preferred desktops.
Now for the questions, should I simply use the standard "./configure && make && make install" to install all the GNOME stuff, or should I use emerge?  If I use the standard install commands, will this mess anything up for future uses of emerge?  If I use emerge, how do I set it to use the Linux Format CD for all the GNOME stuff?  I have a dial-up connection, so using emerge to install GNOME over the internet (i.e. downloading all the GNOME files from a Gentoo mirror) is not a good idea for me.

I have tried to find the info from Google and from Gentoo.org, but all my searches simply refer to using the internet.

 Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem
 your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad
 company.        - George Washington, Rules of Civility