[wplug] Bibtex question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 22 11:31:25 EST 2003

Sometime in December Doug Green assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| No, I just want it in the bibliography (in the references). I don't
| want a run-on list of authors when there are like 20 authors of a
| paper... how do I do that?
|
| Thanks!
| Doug

i spoke with someone with a little more expirence than i with this sort of
thing. it seems that the tetex distribution (the one that comes with unix)
has a utility which can be used to construct custom .bst files. where the
.bst file describes the formatting of references. in order to generate it i
believe you need to run latex on makebst.tex. so the first thing you need
to do is locate 'makebst.tex':

$ locate makebst.tex

on redhat 9 this should return something like:

/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/custom-bib/makebst.tex

copy this to a local directory and run:

$ latex makebst.tex

evidentally it will ask you questions and i belive generate something which
can get you a bstfile. then in your document you will put something like:

\bibliographystyle{mystyle}

where your bst file is named mystyle.bst.

if you have a copy of kopka and daly, there is a section in appendix b (of
the third edition) titled 'customizing bibliography styles'. this gives a
description of what you can accomplish and one of the bullets is "number of
author names to include before giving et al.".

i hope this helps.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E