[wplug] Syslogd on RH9 + Netgear FVS318 Firewall

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Mon Dec 22 01:31:52 EST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Robert L. Jeffries wrote:

> 	So I edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables by adding (I replaced my
> addresses 	with x's):
> 	-A INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p udp -m udp --dport 514 -j ACCEPT

Is this the same xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx address listed in your nmap command? You
want the internal address of the FVS318 there. Since things aren't
working, I would loosen things a bit and take out the -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
part and see if that works. It's possible that the FVS318 is sending
packets on the internal interface with the IP address of the external
interface?

> 	sudo nmap -vv -sU -p 514 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I tested this and it should work, when things are setup right. Given the
rule you list above, you would have to run that command from the FVS318 to
get an open port.

-james