[wplug] Syslogd on RH9 + Netgear FVS318 Firewall

Robert L. Jeffries rl_jeffries at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 20:04:43 EST 2003

Hello all,
            I have a cable modem connected to a Netgear FVS318
Firewall/VPN/Router, and a RedHat Linux 9 box connected to it.

The FVS318 has the ability to send its logs to a syslog server, which is
done by giving it a specific address.

I've configured the router to send its logs to the RH9 box
            I've edited the /etc/init.d/syslog options flag to look like
this:
                               SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r"
                                    and then like this when I didn't see
any new entries in /var/log
                               SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-r -m 0"

            I do not know whether or not I should have an entry in
/etc/syslog.conf; and I do not know what I'd put there.

            I've seen it said in other groups that " 'man syslogd" and
'look for -r' " reveals the hidden secrets to this problem. I've read
it, and I disagree.

            In the regards of this problem I haven't changed any files
except as noted above.

            I know I'm missing something. I don't know what it is. Any
help would be appreciated.
rlj