[wplug] temporary credit cards

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Dec 21 14:39:34 EST 2003

Sometime in December Brian Sammon assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| A few months ago, someone mentioned a creditcard provider that allowed you to
| generate temporary creditcard numbers for online shopping.  I've been doing
| some research, and some of these systems require you to download a Windoze
| program to generate the new numbers.  The others don't tell you how it works
| until after you sign up for the card.
| It looks like American Express's "Private Payments" program would allow you to
| generate the numbers through the website, but I'm not sure.
|
| Is anyone here familiar with such programs that you can use without having
| Windoze installed?

i've used the linuxfund one from mbna. it's java, and it works pretty well,
or rather it did a couple weeks ago. i can try again if you want. it lets
you specify the credit limit and an expiration date. it provides the number
and the three digit number on the back of the card. if you want me to i can
check again to see if it still works.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E