[wplug] RH 7.3 upgrade

Jim LaSalle jjlasalle at comcast.net
Sun Dec 14 10:19:29 EST 2003

It's a production machine. Lots of users, lots of files in /home. No
office tools, minimal X. Mostly administered remotely via ssh.  I
thought moving to rh 7.3 was less risky in terms of breaking scripts and
bread-and-butter services (openSSH, dhcp, etc).  I worry about what will
happen to user accounts/passwords with upgrades. Samba is compiled from
source so it may need to be recompiled.

I have Fedora running on our archives server. What happens to Fedora
when Red Hat decides it is not getting the revenue it expected from
their "enterprise" distro?  I was seriously evaluating Debian and
Slackware as replacements to our Red Hat farm when Fedora Core 1 was
released. At this point in time, I think all new installations will be
Fedora -- mostly due to learning curve/inertia on my  part.  :-\