[wplug] Consulting

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Fri Dec 12 09:20:35 EST 2003

When I was in school, Daddy suggested some things.

  1. When you grow up, if you didn't have to work to make money, what would
you do with your time?
  2. Now that you know that, who would pay you to do it?
  3. What education/experience would they want you to have, to give you
that job?
  4. GET THAT EDUCATION.

  A.  Always keep beer in a cool, dark place.
  B.  "Guidance" people always tell you to take required courses first -
the ones you are least interested in, and least motivated to excel in. And
this at the beginning, when you don't have a historical GPA to moderate
your grades if you do badly in uninteresting courses.  Why not take some
interesting electives at first, to build up your GPA, so that
somnolence-inducing classes don't cause you unnecessary grief? (Life is
short - eat dessert first).

Thanx.

  "Don't mind me - I'm just doing what my Rice Krispies told me"

for such purpose.

                      John Harrold
                      <jmh17                   To:      wplug at wplug.org
                      @pitt.edu>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [wplug] Consulting
                      wplug-admin

                      12/11/2003 05:36
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to wplug

Sometime in December Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| My reason for stating this is this: Do you know any other field where
| there are so many people (i.e. actors, writers, comedians ...) with
| SO much money?  Even people in hospitality (which is just a branch
| of the entertainment industry, if you ask me) make good money.

sports, baseball in particular. even the worst baseball players make annual
salaries that i probably wont see in my lifetime. consider tiger woods, he
probably makes more money from nike annually than most of their workers in
indonesia combined. not that every sports player is overpaid, just like not
all actors get paid a bunch. we just tend to notice the ones that do.

| Still, I could be wrong (outsider looking in) but if I were to choose
| a career based solely on what I thought would make me a lot of money,
| it sure wouldn't be software development, and it would probably be
| something in the entertainment field.

i'd shoot for ceo of a company. one of the few job fields where their
salaries increased as their workers were laid off :).

| Well ... I think that everyone's career choices should be based on that,
| which (as I've already stated) is why I write software/admin BSD boxen.
| It raises an interesting question, though: what career does one choose
| when one just wants to make money?

drug dealer.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism
or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E

<< Attachment Removed : C.DTF >>