[wplug] Consulting

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 11 15:42:24 EST 2003

Tim Lesher wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:46:58PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>If I just
>>wanted to make money, I'd be in the entertainment industry (That's
>>where the real money is).
>
> Either that statement was really tongue-in-cheek, or you were in a
> different segment of the industry than I was.  The computer
> entertainment field, at least, is lucrative in the same way that the
> Powerball ticket-buying industry is.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, I've never worked for the
entertainment industry.  I'm speaking as an outsider looking in, so
it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.  But
I wasn't talking specifically about the computer entertainment field.

My reason for stating this is this: Do you know any other field where
there are so many people (i.e. actors, writers, comedians ...) with
SO much money?  Even people in hospitality (which is just a branch
of the entertainment industry, if you ask me) make good money.

Still, I could be wrong (outsider looking in) but if I were to choose
a career based solely on what I thought would make me a lot of money,
it sure wouldn't be software development, and it would probably be
something in the entertainment field.

> Actually, your reasons for entering the entertainment industry should
> be the same as someone's reasons for entering the FLOSS industry:
> because it's in your makeup to do that.

Well ... I think that everyone's career choices should be based on that,
which (as I've already stated) is why I write software/admin BSD boxen.
It raises an interesting question, though: what career does one choose
when one just wants to make money?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies