[wplug] slapt-get

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Tue Dec 9 19:30:54 EST 2003

I used this under Slack 9.1 for awhile.  It's a pretty simple setup.
You edit the config (/etc/slapt-getrc) to configure which sites you want
slapt-get to retrieve packages from.  I personally used
www.linuxpackages.net and carroll.cac.psu.edu as my main repositories.
A `slapt-get --update` will retrieve the package information from any
sites you have configured to get packages from.  Of course, this needs
run everytime you change or add mirror sites.  You will also need to
include the full path to the packages i.e.
my.domain.com/where/the/tgzs/are/

Installation is simple:  `slapt-get --install <packagename>` , which can
be generic, such as: `slapt-get --install xmms`.  The --install command
will download and immediately install any packages you specifiy AND
their dependancies.  I believe there is a command line switch to just
have slapt-get retrieve the packages, but not automatically install them
as well.

All in all, it worked well for me.  The only thing I ran into was not
being able to find some packages as slackware packages.  I have seen a
few package conversion apps out there, such as rpm2tgz, but I have never
tried them.

- Carl