[wplug] Telling webservers you don't have flash installed

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Dec 10 09:03:54 EST 2003

One thing that might be worth consideration: installing 2 browsers and using
one when you absolutely have to see flash stuff.  I too loathe flash sites,
but there are some that are built entirely of it.  There are some great
flash site out there tho - like Homestar Runner and the new Ford GT site...

On my windoze laptop here @ work I do not have a flash plug-in in Internet
Exploder, but I do in Mozilla.  This allows me to use NetZero and not get
pestered with all the flash ad crap they display (but it does not save me bw
- they _still_ download to my system)

YMMV
Don

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Russ Schneider wrote:
>> I just downloaded Mozilla Firebird for a spin, and noticed something.
>> Sites that usually give my Macromedia Flash ads on their pages,
>> detected that I didn't yet have Flash installed in Firebird, and
>> replaced them with regular GIF ads.
>>
>> Once I installed Flash, back came the Flash ads.
>>
>> I HATE Flash ads on web pages.  Is there some way I can fake it so
>> sites can't detect whether I have Flash installed?  How do sites
>> like Yahoo figure it out?  What info is the browser sending?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what info Flash sends, but it's probably in the
> HTTP accept headers (HTTP browsers can send a line listing the types
> of content they understand, then the web server can make
> decisions based
> on this).
>
> I'm not sure how to tweak Firebird's headers, but if you
> figure this out,
> there will be a downside: ALL sites will think you don't have Flash,
> and you may have trouble viewing flash that you want to see.

www.ethereal.com will allow you to see the headers your browser is
sending, but I'm not sure how to teach Firebird to change them.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies