[wplug] AMD Opteron support

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Dec 4 13:52:36 EST 2003

 Chris Romano wrote:
> wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
>>>
>>> We are looking at getting new server and one of the ones that we are
>>> looking at uses the AMD Opteron 240 (IBM eServer).  What distro's
>>> support this CPU?  I think that SuSE and Red Hat have versions that
>>> support this.  Are there any more out there?
>> 	As far as supported operating system (from an IBM
>> perspective and an Enterprise application perspective) you've
>> named about the only 2 worth consideration.  See
>> http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/compat/nos/matrix.sht> ml for details
>> - although this does not specifically list
>> the e325 (because Intel wants it that way) - it's at
>> http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/eserver/opteron/.  > You have to
>> download the specific model PDF to find a definitive OS
>> support statement - and the ones I have only show SuSE as
>> supported (but I know that RHEL is in testing).
>>

> Thanks everyone, but I am afraid that it doesn't matter anymore.  This
> server is going to be a web/database server for us.  The
> problem is that one
> of our Web Design guys codes in ASP and doesn't want to learn
> PHP.  We are
> probably going to use Sun's ASP server so we can run PHP and
> ASP on this
> box.  I talked to Sun and their ASP server needs GLIBC 2.2.5.  I
> believe that RHEL AS 3 uses a newer version.  SuSE Linux 8 has this
> version so that
> might be our only option if the Enterprise Edition uses it also.  I am
> trying to find out on their site now.  If not, I guess we
> will have to go
> the way of the Xeon.

	You can get a Linux distro to support any GLIBC you want to - I
believe it's as simple as passing a variable like "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
(or 2.2.5)" or something like that (and having the libraries installed, of
course).  Have used this on RH distros to fix quite a few broken apps (even
RPM at one point).  You _can_ do this with Linux on Opteron.  I had no idea
that ASP was supported by Sun.  Not learn PHP?  Yeah - who wants to know how
to code with cross-platform language?!

Don