[wplug] Digital Cameras

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Dec 3 13:15:26 EST 2003

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a digital camera that will work
> with Linux, espcially one also capable of taking a few minutes (1-6)
> of video?

IMHO I don't really look for "direct camera compatibility" as most every
current camera uses some kind of removable media that allows for easy
transposition of images from one place to another (my system has a $15 USB
reader that takes pretty much all removable media).  However - I know that
there are also more and more cameras now that have some base internal memory
and that could be an issue (like the higher end Kodak EasyShares) - I
suppose the best place to look is at a compatibility list for the
application in question (like gtcam, etc).  Worst case scenario on these
models is that they're "WinCameras" requiring some Windoze software to
extract the images, but I'm just blindly speculating here.
FWIW - I've been reading a lot of reviews lately as my last digital camera
now only wants to focus in macro mode, and Minoltas seem to have the best
image production at decent price points.  I must say that my last camera was
a Minolta and I was quite pleased with the 3+ years of high-use service I
got from it.  I've been lusting after a digital SLR, but no one seems to
have their act together WRT quality unless you want to drop 6Gs on a Cannon
D1s... and I already have a substantial investment in Nikon lenses.
On a similar note - there are also lots of folks using good old film and
then getting a film scanner.  I have an older 8megapixel Minolta ScanImage
that accepts 35mm, APS, and slides, and it works quite well.  While not
offering the convenience of a digital camera, you just cannot beat the looks
of true film (like Fuji Velvia and Provia) and the transfer to digital is
pretty quick and simple.  I've noticed that most films scanners are now in
the 10+ megapixel range, but have price tags to match....

Don