[wplug] Determine current nic setting

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Dec 3 08:46:58 EST 2003

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> I'm trying to determine the current duplex and speed setting that was
> automatically negotiated by my nic driver. If I do a more on
> the ethX.info
> files in /proc/net/nicinfo, the information I'm looking for
> seems to be
> there. How accurate is it? Is there a better way to get this
> information?
ethtool

e.g.:
[root at cdburner root]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full