[wplug] Keeping time

Keir Josephson keir at pastadish.com
Tue Dec 2 18:09:16 EST 2003

On Dec 2, 2003, at 11:25 AM, Scott Bourns wrote:

> Would anyone mind telling me the most secure, reliable way to keep a
> RH7.3
> (primary function is web server) machine system and hardware clock
> updated?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Scott

You could create a crontab entry that runs the following command:

ntpdate  <hostname or IP of an ntp server>

I usually sync to one of the navy clocks such as ntp2.usno.navy.mil or
tock.usno.navy.mil.  If you want to slew the time change instead of
doing an abrupt sync, most versions let you use the -B option.

Depending on your hardware and how accurate the time needs to be, you
might have to schedule it to run several times a day.  For instance,
I've used Compaq iPaq's running P3 processors that would drift a few
minutes or more in a 24 hour period, while Proliant Intel servers can
usually be synced once a day without any problems.

Hope this helps.
Keir