[wplug] Barebones Linux

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 2 13:46:23 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:42:28PM -0500, Weber, Larry A wrote:
> I need a distro of Linux that will run on an old 486 laptop (500 Meg HD, no
> CD).  Command line only.  The only apps I really need are gcc, gdb, Perl,
> and vi.  Ruby would be nice.  An ethernet port (pcmcia) is possible but not
> desirable.  I used ZipSlack awhile ago in a similar situation but it did not
> come with gcc.  With only a floppy drive (I could add a zipdrive), adding
> more apps will be difficult.

I am happy with Debian on an old laptop (Pentium I, but otherwise similar).
It's easy to install a minimal system from boot floppies, but then you'd
need the network connection (or CD drive) for the rest.

A key issue is how much RAM the machine has.  Anything less than 20MB
will be pretty painful.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u