[wplug] Strange directory/behavior

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Aug 31 22:57:12 EDT 2003

Today, when I did a 'ls' I found that I had a directory with the name
'?' in my home directory (/home/kevin/?/).  Yes, just the question mark
symbol. When I view my home directory using a GUI (either an Open File
dialog or with a file manager) it shows up as an empty square.

I have also lost a few files while working with AbiWord.  I had mounted
my home directory via samba on my winXP machine at work.  Using MS Word,
I edited and then printed a document.  When I got home, I found that the
file was empty.  The same thing happened again when I used AbiWord (via
VNC) at home with another file.  I opened it, worked on it, saved it,
then when I reopened (sp?) it, it was blank.

I have tired to repeat the steps again, and it happened a third time,
but then not a 4th or 5th. (NOTE- the file was always being saved as a
.doc file)

My questions are:
  -What is this new directory?
  -Does anyone think that the two things are related?
  -Any idea how I got the directory, and if/how I would remove it
       safely?

My specs:
   Debian Woody 3.0, kernel 2.2.20, AbiWord 1.0.2, samba 2.2.3a