[wplug] NIS over SSH

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sun Aug 31 11:15:50 EDT 2003

On Saturday 30 August 2003 00:00, Brian Medley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:00:57AM -0400, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> > Guys, does anyone know if there is a special configuration needed for
> > machines belonging to an NIS domain to be reachable by SSH?
> >
> > Right now I have 20 machines authenticating to an NIS server, and
> > mounting users' $HOME over NFS just fine, when sitting at the keyboard of
> > these machines.
> >
> > BUT, when I SSH over to any one of them, I authenticate, and immediately
> > the connection is dropped. ssh -v doesn't give out any valuable
> > information, it just tells me that I authenticate correctly, and then the
> > session exits.
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> This is just a very big guess, but are you also automounting the home dirs?
> If so, do you think it may be having issues trying to access ~/.ssh?

Yes, I am automounting the home directories, but since I don't use RSA/DSA
authentication, the existence of ~/.ssh shouldn't be an issue. The only
work-around I've found for the time being is adding a stub account in the
/etc/passwd file (and nothing in /etc/shadow), just with the account
information, but no password.

But this is obviously flawed, since now NIS is only useful as a universal
password-changing system :-P

-A

--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265