[wplug] OT - Programming Languages

Chris vze2f6h6 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 16:40:16 EDT 2003

> > web-based, and then the client side doesn't matter.  The only problem is
> > that the browser would have to refresh at least every minute to show the
> > updated time for all the tanning beds.
>
> Why is a browser refresh a problem?  You don't want to tax the server?

I really don't think taxing the server would be a problem.  Unless there
were many machines connected to it.  This would be in an intranet setting.
I couldn't image more then about 5 machines total.  I think that biggest
problems would be when people are trying to type and lose their data.  Plus
it would get a little annoying seeing the page constantly refreshing.  Say
it was controlling 10 beds.  That means that the browser would have to
refresh about 5 - 10 times per minute.  I guess that's a function of how
accurate the display would be.  I think that it would be much cleaner
without the refreshing.  If this turns out to be an app that they can use
over the Internet to connect other salons, then that could be a lot of data
refreshing.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I have a lot of research to do.

Chris Romano