[wplug] Automatic spell check from mutt

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Wed Aug 27 06:17:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:28:41AM -0500, Brian Medley wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:06:22AM -0400, Mike Procario wrote:
>
> > I have never worked with autocmd. I will look into it but I need
> > to be able to only trigger the spell check from email and some
> > other files. Perhaps I need a special .vimrc file just for email.
> > Spell checking python  or C could get tedious.
>
> That's why I suggested putting it in a ftplugin directory.  That stands for
> File Type Plugin.  It will only be executed when vim determines that you
> are in a file of a particular type.  I'd try
> "~/.vim/after/ftplugin/mail.vim" first.  See ":help ftplugin".

sounds cool .. something new-to-me to play with . thanks.

If that doesn't work, you can probably configure your mailer to use
a specific editor invocation.  Then set it up with
  vim -u $HOME/.mymailvimrc

If that doesn't work, I've found creating in startup alias such as:
  alias mutt="EDITOR=\"vim -u $HOME/.mymailvimrc\" mutt"

Or make a shell script:

  $ cat ~/bin/mail
  #!/bin/sh
  vim "$1"