[wplug] Which certification is the best ?

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Aug 22 23:21:14 EDT 2003

> Besides the people who I know have heard of it, has anyone besides me,
> looked at or taken the cSage exam given by Sage and Usenix? It tries to be
> vendor neutral. http://sageweb.sage.org/programs/cert/
> -james

Yes, I have taken the cSage and even passed. It has a good mixture of SysV and BSD on the unix portion of the exam, and the other portion covers administration that isn't necessarily unix specific, such as TCP/IP, hardware, and backup planning.  You should have experience with multiple types of unix, and probably 1 year real world experience, or you'll be stumped on some of the questions.  It is targetted at junior to intermediate level sysadmins, much like LPI 1 and LPI 2.  It seems to be a fair exam, a bit pricy but they had a discount going on when I took it..  I wouldn't exactly call it a cake-walk as there's no study guide (not even 3rd party, or at least there wasn't when I took the cSage), just a list of possible topics and suggested books to read.

-- Brandon Poyner