[wplug] Which certification is the best ?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Aug 22 20:11:18 EDT 2003

James O'Kane wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Vanco, Donald said:
>
>> I'm twice RHCE certified and have taken both LPI 1 and 2, and
>> actually am testing Friday for the LPI 102 test.
>
> You pass the RHCE and then it expired and you re-passed it?
	Actually, my company hosted an in-house class for both employees and
business partners - that was circa RH6.1/6.1, I then took the week long
class and re-certified in NC circa RH7.3
	Funny - the first RH class we gave (pre-IPO) cost us $12k for 17
people.  Post IPO, they wanted $30k + expenses for 10 people.  I've done the
RH classes since then :)

>> For the cost - and if I were the one paying - I'd take all 4 LPI
>> tests first.  Pass all 4 and you have LPI 1 & 2 Certs - at half the
>> cost of the test alone from RH.  The LPI site has some sample test /
>> test profile info. There's also some decent pages dedicated to it on
>> the 'Net.
>
> I've passed all 4 LPI exams. I found them boring. :)
	I had a tough time with much of the SysAdmin stuff - most of what I
do is hardware centric - I don't do much user-land tweaking.

> I actually went down to the test center to take an unrelated exam, and
> came home with LPI 1 and 2.
	I'd hire you.

> Besides the people who I know have heard of it, has anyone besides me,
> looked at or taken the cSage exam given by Sage and Usenix? It tries
> to be vendor neutral. http://sageweb.sage.org/programs/cert/
	I've not heard of / looked at this exam.  I felt pretty satisfied
with the LPI WRT to neutrality.  the 2x tests were very neutral, but then
there were only a couple questions on actual package management on the
version of 201 I took.  Maybe 2 rpm and 2 deb, at most.
	LPI tests seem to average 70 to 75 tests.

Don