[wplug] NIS client setup on RH9

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 22 15:06:57 EDT 2003

Hi list. I set up an NIS server and an NIS client on two RH machines. The
client exhibits the following quite weird behavior:

+ On boot time, it says:
Setting NIS domain assoc                   [OK]
Binding to the NIS domain                  [OK]
Listening for an NIS domain server         [FAILED]

(the last check takes ~20 seconds, since it retries 20 times as per
/etc/init.d/ypbind, line 45.

+ Now, after I boot, I can only login as root (the only account that has
its information locally). If I issue the command
/etc/init.d/ypbind start
...it INSTANTLY gives me successful output (three green OK's in a split
second).

After that, I can login normally with my NIS-provided usernames/passwords.

Anyone have any clue why /etc/init.d/ypbind is not working at boot time,
but is working fine on manual execution?

The order in which the init script is called seems proper, it's called
after networking and the portmapper have started.

Thanks

-A