[wplug] Any RHCE among us ?

John W. Bixler jwbixler at cookvascular.com
Fri Aug 22 13:01:38 EDT 2003

At 11:39 AM 8/22/03 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 11:24, Anand Nimbalkar wrote:
> > HI,
> > Are there any RHCE's among us ? If yes can you please tell me how to go
> > about it.I dunno anything about Linux. Will start hammering 9.0 from
> > tomorrow.  Any advice specially pertaining to level of expertise,time
> frame for
> > preparation will reallly help.

I've been a Unix/Linux sysadmin for 10+ years and now work for a medical
equipment manufacturer. We have been using Linux since 1999 and currently
have no Microsoft server products running in our sites. I took the test
about 18 months ago and did not pass. I blew the Web stuff. My job is File
Servers, Database Servers, Firewalls and User Interconnects.

The test consists of four troubleshooting problems that must be completed
in 2.5 hours. You can miss one of the troubleshooting problems and still
pass if you do very well on the rest of the test. Each person has their own
system for the test.

The second part is a fifty question test, to be completed in 1 hour. This
is the only part of the exam that is like a MSCE type certification test.

The last part of the exam is a new install of the current version of RedHat
on your test system. Different configurations for several different users,
changes to the kernel which need to be recompiled and installed, and Apache
installation. You have 2.5 hours for this part.

Cost of the exam use to be $795.00. You now have to be re-certified after a
couple of software releases.
That's why I haven't re-tested.