[wplug] Any RHCE among us ?

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Aug 22 11:39:58 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 11:24, Anand Nimbalkar wrote:
> HI,
> Are there any RHCE's among us ? If yes can you please tell me how to go
> about it.I dunno anything about Linux. Will start hammering 9.0 from
> tomorrow.  Any advice specially pertaining to level of expertise,time frame for
> preparation will reallly help.

You might want to consider getting more familiar with linux first,
starting off completely ignorant of linux and trying for one of the
toughest linux certifications isn't going to be easy.

I've been a linux sysadmin for 4 years, and I don't think I'd be able to
pass the RHCE.  I've been running linux as my primary desktop OS for
even longer.  I suggest wiping windows of your PC, and using linux, and
only linux, for the next couple months.  Don't even think about
installing windows.  Get very familiar with redhat's installation
mechanism.  Learn to look in the appropriate log files.  Try compiling
some large package from scratch.  Try building some redhat packages from
source.

>From what I've heard about the RHCE tests, it's not a simple exam where
you regurgitate information rote from the certification manuals.  You
need to be able to diagnose problems, and be able to fix them quickly.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP, President and Chief Lackey