[wplug] Determine network link speed

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Aug 21 12:15:57 EDT 2003

Unfortunately, some ethernet cards do not support the MII interface.  I
know I just got a bunch of gigabit cards that didn't, and I was
frustrated.  Thankfully, ethtool can at least tell if the interface has
a link or not, so the network startup script can be aborted before it
tries to DHCP without a link.

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 11:47, Jason Dunn wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I tried the mii-tool and recieved this error:
>
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
>
> so I looked the error up and found someone talking about ethtool, so I
> tried that and it worked great!
>
> Thanks for the lead.
> Jason
>

> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 11:32, Mike Griffin wrote:
> > The command: mii-tool
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 11:24  AM, Jason Dunn wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to find a way to tell what the link speed is on a machine
> > > running RH8. I know with ifconfig, you can tell it what media type to
> > > use, but I want to view the speed an auto selecting card is selecting.
> > > The switch that the machine is connected to is in a cabinet and is
> > > unreachable.  Is there any way to tell whether it's running at 10BaseT
> > > or 100BaseT?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jason

Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>