[wplug] running "lean"

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 21 11:03:23 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Doug Green assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi all-
| Normally, our discussions have centered on setting up services. I've
| got almost the opposite problem, and I was wondering if I could get
| some feedback. I would like to run the fewest possible services that I
| can for a single user setup. I've found lots of information about
| setting UP services, but relatively little about which services can be
| safely omitted from startup. Can anyone provide a brief list of
| services that are "must have", and how to control which processes are
| launched at startup?
| Thanks in advance,
| Doug

you know a couple days ago i was reading something about this on one of
redhat's manuals, but i cannot remember which one covered it:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

either way, these have some pretty useful stuff.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E