[wplug] running "lean"

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Aug 21 10:50:29 EDT 2003

Doug Green wrote:
> Hi all-
> Normally, our discussions have centered on setting up services. I've
> got almost the opposite problem, and I was wondering if I could get
> some feedback. I would like to run the fewest possible services that I
> can for a single user setup. I've found lots of information about
> setting UP services, but relatively little about which services can be
> safely omitted from startup. Can anyone provide a brief list of
> services that are "must have", and how to control which processes are
> launched at startup? Thanks in advance,

	You might want to take a look at the "from power on to bash prompt"
that I've posted aboot here in the past.

	I can't speak for all distros, but the RH site has some good
information on what services do what.  If RH - you'll also want to become
familiar with the service and chkconfig commands.

	While I've not looked at what's there in a while, the Bastille
project (a secure OS profile) used to have some good information on what
services can get canned, what services need to be left in place - and how to
make them secure.

	A quick starting point might be to just jump into /etc/init.d (or
the init script directory of your distro of choice {slack users / BSD init
the possible exception} ) and start to run man or info against what you see
there...

	You can't get much leaner than running (a minimally configured)
Gentoo or Debian I suppose...  Had it not been for the nasty blasting of my
EXT3 partitions I might still be on Gentoo...

YMMV
Don