[wplug] Which certification is the best ?

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 20 21:30:09 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 13:24, Anand Nimbalkar wrote:
> Hi,
> Apparently there are a good number of Linux Vendors who are offering
> certification. From what I heard Red Hat is the best and also the toughest.
> Given that I am going to install Linux 9.0 this weekend I dont think so I
> am an eligible candidate for Red Hat certification. Can someone suggest
> other certification paths which are recognized in the Linux community ?
> If someone is a RHCE please reply.
> Worst comes to worst I am willing to take RHCE.

<snip ~1K lines>

Hi Anand.

For complete newbies, a certification like Linux A+ seems more appropriate
than RHCE, which is geared towards GNU/Linux professionals.

Now, allow me to bitch:

- There is no Linux 9.0 - that will take a couple of centuries to release (at
the current pace)

- No vendor certification is "recognised in the linux community". The only use
of certifications is asking for more money from your employer (or getting one
in the first place). (which is not a bad idea at all, don't get me wrong)

- Googling around for "linux certification" would give you all the information
you might need.

- I suggest installing the system first, learning it, and then worrying about
getting certified.

- Please don't reply to messages to create a new thread, as this confuses mail
readers that keep threaded views of mailing lists.

- Please don't quote 1,000 lines of text that have nothing to do with your
message.

Good manners to keep everyone happy! :-)

-A

PS: I suggest reading http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html - it
has many helpful hints for mailing list newcomers.
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265