[wplug] Which certification is the best ?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Aug 20 21:20:28 EDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanco, Donald
Sent: Wed 8/20/2003 9:07 PM
To: wplug at wplug.org; wplug at wplug.org
Subject: RE: [wplug] Which certification is the best ?

This has been discussed at length here on WPLUG and on CLUG (Cleveland) - I
might suggest that you take a look at the archives.

I'm twice RHCE certified and have taken both LPI 1 and 2, and actually am
testing Friday for the LPI 102 test.

The tests are very different in scope.  My opinion (and there's more in that
archives):  the RHCE will make you the best Red Hat / SysV init / rpm-based
distro person possible, whereas the LPI will insure that you've got it
together as a Sys Admin.  Both are very difficult, both are pretty easy -
depending on what question you're looking at at the moment.
I will say the RHCE troubleshooting portion (where they use kickstart loads
to break a fresh install and you have to fix it) is of particular value in
seperating the men from the boys.  (sorry ladies).

When I took the LPI 101 and 201 I thought that I aced the 201 and did poorly
on the 101.  I passed the 101 and (just barely) failed the 201 - go figger.
I have a knack for "just missing" tests - I failed a grueling  OpenView cert
by ONE POINT.

There are some "fill in the blank" portions on the LPI (the rest being
multiple guess) - one particular question dealt with some obscure SAMBA
issue (and I _never_ deal with SAMBA) so I wrote in "minesweeper".

It was also interesting that on one test question 24 was actually answered
by the text of question 26.  I pointed it out to the examiner.  I was
correct.

For the cost - and if I were the one paying - I'd take all 4 LPI tests
first.  Pass all 4 and you have LPI 1 & 2 Certs - at half the cost of the
test alone from RH.  The LPI site has some sample test / test profile info.
There's also some decent pages dedicated to it on the 'Net.

IMHO - other RH classes and certs are simply a means for RH to get cash.

YMMV
Don