[wplug] Question on dual boot / shared media space

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 20 19:15:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 14:05, Kuzman Ganchev wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:21:40AM -0400, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> > Questions:
> > 	I'd like to use NTFS for performance under Windoze, but have
> > concerns about write support under Linux.  Does anyone have any
> > real-world experience, or a clear understanding of what the real (Linux)
> > concerns here are all aboot?
<snip>
> A friend of mine swears that fat32 is like playing russian roulette
> with your data, but if you really need to run both linux and windows
> on the same machine, that's probably what you'll want to do.

On the first part, I'd say this is an exaggeration. Filesystems weren't
blowing up before wide NTFS adoption (2000). Also, the company I work for
still goes with FAT on XP installations, and there haven't been any huge
problems, since local security is not a concern (all machines are
single-user). *Of course* NTFS is vastly superior than FAT, but for
standalone machines that need high compatibility, I agree that FAT is the way
to go.

As far as partitioning is concerned, 2-3G for each OS and the rest in a big
happy /data partition should be fine.

A bitter experience (my last personal encounter with XP, actually) I'd like to
share is this: DO NOT allow XP's disk manager to "fix" the partitions you
created from Linux's fdisk (should it offer to). I've blown away my entire
partition table just by clicking "OK" on a very user-friendly and polished
dialog box :-P

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265