[wplug] Question on dual boot / shared media space

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Aug 20 14:05:25 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:21:40AM -0400, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> Questions:
> 	I'd like to use NTFS for performance under Windoze, but have
> concerns about write support under Linux.  Does anyone have any real-world
> experience, or a clear understanding of what the real (Linux) concerns here
> are all aboot?

I don't have real world experience, except reading NTFS. Here's an FAQ
on NTFS, which says: it's extremely dangerous to write to NTFS with
Linux:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

> 	If I have to use a FAT32 filesystem are there any real concerns?

A friend of mine swears that fat32 is like playing russian roulette
with your data, but if you really need to run both linux and windows
on the same machine, that's probably what you'll want to do.

Have you considered running wine? I'm not sure what applications you
are planning on, but you can tell Linux to autologin a user, start x
with the appropriate desktop and then have the user just point and
click (kinda like an embedded device, which is what this really will
be right?).

Kuzman