[wplug] help interperting errors in messages log

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Aug 20 09:14:38 EDT 2003

squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org wrote:
<snip>
> I get only at boot up the following error on another drive on
> the same system. What does this one mean and is it something
> I need to be concerned about.  Thanks
>
> hdc: task_no_data_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=0,
> sector=0
> hdc: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }

	Is this a hard drive?  The "sector not found" against sector zero
looks like the kernel is looking for a partition table and did not find one
- something likely to happen on a CD/DVD.  The 0x51 usually happens when an
IDE option / command is issued that the drive doesn't understand (new drive
option against old drive).  I'm no expert, but if it's working I think that
you can safely ignore these errors...
	You might be able to tweak some options in/with hdparm (in Red Hat
see file /etc/syconfig/harddisks) , or if it is a CD/DVD pass some boot time
kernel option like hdc=cdrom (or whatever the correct syntax is).

	Per chance are you on some oddball (development / patched) kernel or
fringe distro?  If this is a "current technology" drive and you're seeing
this kind of stuff you may want to ping the bug folks that manage that
particular kernel.

Don