[wplug] help interperting errors in messages log

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Tue Aug 19 12:40:03 EDT 2003

And for the background:

cyclic redundancy check

<algorithm> (CRC or "cyclic redundancy code") A number derived from,
and stored or transmitted with, a block of data in order to detect
corruption. By recalculating the CRC and comparing it to the value
originally transmitted, the receiver can detect some types of
transmission errors.

A CRC is more complicated than a checksum. It is calculated using
division either using shifts and exclusive ORs or table lookup (modulo
256 or 65536).

The CRC is "redundant" in that it adds no information. A single
corrupted bit in the data will result in a one bit change in the
calculated CRC but multiple corrupted bits may cancel each other out.

CRCs treat blocks of input bits as coefficient-sets for polinomials.
E.g., binary 10100000 implies the polynomial: 1*x^7 + 0*x^6 + 1*x^5 +
0*x^4 + 0*x^3 + 0*x^2 + 0*x^1 + 0*x^0. This is the "message
polynomial". A second polynomial, with constant coefficients, is called
the "generator polynomial". This is divided into the message
polynomial, giving a quotient and remainder. The coefficients of the
remainder form the bits of the final CRC. So, an order-33 generator
polynomial is necessary to generate a 32-bit CRC. The exact bit-set
used for the generator polynomial will naturally affect the CRC that is
computed.

Most CRC implementations seem to operate 8 bits at a time by building a
table of 256 entries, representing all 256 possible 8-bit byte
combinations, and determining the effect that each byte will have. CRCs
are then computed using an input byte to select a 16- or 32-bit value
from the table. This value is then used to update the CRC.

Ethernet packets have a 32-bit CRC. Many disk formats include a CRC at
some level.

(1997-08-02)

Mike