[wplug] help interperting errors in messages log

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Aug 19 11:23:35 EDT 2003

squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org wrote:
> I have been getting errors daily like the below:
>
> 3 Time(s): end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 1017689
> 14 Time(s): hda: read_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound },
> LBAsect=1226534, sector=1017689
> 2 Time(s): hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=1226534, sector=1017689
> 16 Time(s): hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> DataRequest Error }
> 3 Time(s): ide0: reset: success

	It means your hard drive is very likely dying.  While there are
steps that can be taken from a filesystem and manufacturer bad block level,
but the fact is that the physical media on the drive is likely breaking
down.  You can put off the inevitable for a while, but your disk is dying.

	If hda is simply a CD - it's bad media.

Don
...now back to my soaps....