[wplug] bsdwebhosting.net

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Mon Aug 18 22:15:37 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:57:27AM -0400, Doug Green wrote:
> Hi all-
> I have an account with BSDWebhosting.net that seems to have vanished
> along with them. Does anyone know what has become of them? Their
> homepage is gone, and I will have to dig to find my dead-tree agreement
> with them- any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

While a BSD hosting machine isn't really Linux related, I know a number
of us used their (quite inexpensive) service, with some folks (like me)
switching after DM got disconnected from the net in January.

I wrote the ISP with whom they are hosted (support at phenominet.com) and got a
response back:

: There was a system failure on that machine.  You may (or may not) know,
: that system isn't really our system - a client of ours went out of
: business and left it.  Essentially, you are the client of a client, if
: you see what I mean
:
: Since it's not a machine we set up, there is no back-up or other
: fail-safes that are in place on our normal systems.  Normally, if there
: were a system problem, we'd just bring up the backups on a spare system,
: and be back up.  We are working on restoring the machine, but it will
: most likely take a couple of days and even if we get the machine back
: up, everyone who wants to continue hosting there will have to re-create
: their account and re-upload their files.  You may want to go ahead and
: find a new host.  If you decide to move your hosting, you can get a
: refund for the unused portion of your account.  Please send a payment
: request to bsdwebhosting at phenominet.com - make sure you include the
: email address you used.
:
: Not that we want to try to talk you into staying - I certainly wouldn't
: stay with a host that told me they were going to be down for 2 days,
: then made me re-create my account, but now that this machine has failed,
: we plan to set it up the way we would have if it had been ours in the
: first place.  We are adding a back-up system to it so this type of thing
: doesn't happen again.  Also, we are working on making sure no one's
: email is lost during this process (which is why we haven't redirected
: www.bsdwebhosting.net somewhere else and explained all this).  Please
: let us know what domains you use and what email addresses you have so we
: can make sure your email isn't lost, whether you decide to stay or go.
:
: Thanks.
: --
: PhenomINET Support

I looked around and found a slew of Linux mail/webhosting places (using
www.findmyhosting.com), and settled on yrhost.com for $10/yr.  No shell
access, and limits on bandwidth and disk, but that keeps me from messing
around there too much :)

-- Rick