[wplug] Remote X question

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Aug 18 12:26:53 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 12:03, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> I am sure this isn't working because I am firing up mozilla (which
> does take forever) and when I go to a website, our firewall here
> prompts me for authentication, which it shouldn't if my traffic was
> heading out through the tunnel.

I just tested this, and it looks like the mozilla startup script
actually talks to any local-running mozilla clients through the tunnel,
so you are still actually starting up a new window from your local
workstation.  I guess that's neat, the designers of the mozilla script
didn't think people wanted to actually run remote instances of mozilla
if you were already running a local one.  This is probably useful if you
are reading your email from a remote display, and want to pop up a URL
in an email.

I suggest either quitting the local version of mozilla, or setting up a
proxy to send traffic through on your home network.

Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP, President and Chief Lackey