[wplug] Remote X question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 18 10:21:48 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Teodorski, Chris assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Please don't beat me silly if this is a stupid question.
|
| I am using SSH from a box here at work to connect to a box at home.  I
| added the -X switch so that I can operate X apps remotely.  So, my
| assumption was that all network traffic from those apps (if I were to run
| IRC or a browser) would be sent back through the tunnel to my machine at
| home.  However, that doesn't seem to be the behavior that I am seeing.
| Was I mistaken?

that's how i think it's supposed to work. check the file:

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

on the server to which you are connecting. make sure the following is set:

X11Forwarding yes

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E