[wplug] debian install fork leads to happy ending

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 19:45:57 EDT 2003

A couple of folks have commented on how hard debian is
for newbies. My perception is the opposite - until I
ran into the X-factor, the network install of debian
was perhaps the most painless linux install I've ever
done (and that includes several instances of attempted
or actual Mandrake installs).

Maybe that's because it lines up with how I believe
things *should* work - a basic install gets you
online, then you download apps according to what you
actually want to use your computer for, and the system
itself takes of dependencies generated by those apps.
And it explains some of the more obscure items, and
suggests defaults, and tells you how you can change
things later if you like and...(snif!)...I think it's
possibly...(snif!)...the most beautiful thing I've
ever seen (he wipes a tear from his eye).

Seriously, I *enjoyed* the network install process
enough that I decided to do it all over again with a
second machine. This one has a lot more hard drive
space on it, so when my tasksel choices led it to
install kde, koffice, and I don't know what else, it
was not a problem. XFree configured itself just fine
and now Debian is all there on the machine, waiting
for me to play. (and, um, get some work done...)

I say, cool.

E.