[wplug] debian install: a glimmer of hope, and a new Q

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 19:19:11 EDT 2003

Now that I've gotten my gripe out of the way, I guess
I should share good news when I can.

Two items: First, a listmember informed me privately
that an earlier version of xfree86 supported my
antique video card. I haven't uninstalled the current
version to install the older one yet (and don't know
yet how I would do that), but at least it presents
hope.

This does raise a question which I haven't seen
addressed, namely, how might one determine which
software versions are appropriate for particular
generations of older hardware? Not just with XFree86,
but with software in general, including the OS itself?
One of the oft-quoted advantages of Linux is that it
works on anything from a 386 up, but for three+ years
now, all current versions that I've known of have
required at least a pentium processor and 1G hard
drive space for a full install. Is there a website
somewhere that says, in effect, "For a machine circa
1999, you should look for a distro version that uses
kernel number so-and-so, XFree86 version so-and-so,
etc."?

If not, does anyone think that such a database would
be a useful addition to wplugs website?

Did the preceding question step on anyone's toes? If
so, sorry.

E.