[wplug] Binding multiple IP's to a nic card

Beth Biernesser Beth.Biernesser at e-Profile.com
Fri Aug 15 09:54:23 EDT 2003

Thanks ... I'm using Red Hat 9.0 and I did get five ip address to "stick".
Why do you suggest only a primary and a secondary to each nic?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Griffin [mailto:mike at dmrnetworks.com]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 9:46 AM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: Re: [wplug] Binding multiple IP's to a nic card

What distro are you using? I'm assuming Red Hat.

To assign the secondary address of 192.168.5.1 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0 to eth0 do:
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.5.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

And a third of 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
ifconfig eth0:2 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

you can assign multiple aliases to a NIC, but I suggest only assigning
a primary and one secondary, and get another NIC if you need more
addresses.

The correct way to add these as permanent (I'm assuming RH here)
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

edit  ifcfg-eth0:1 and put in the following syntax:
DEVICE=eth0:1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.5.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

This will work for your other aliases as well. You can also add a
'GATEWAY=gw.ip.addr.here' at the end of this file.

Mike