[wplug] Re: wplug digest, Vol 1 #963 - 25 msgs

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Aug 15 11:36:57 EDT 2003

Well, I'm very used to hacking X configs, so I told the way I prefer
doing X configuration.  I understand your frustration, learning to
configure X is probably one of the steepest learning curves you'll find
when getting acclimated to linux.  To be honest, I think debian is a
wortheless distro for beginners, because it expects you to know
everything right away, or at least are willing to spend a lot of time
doing research.

So, 'xf86config' is the default XFree86 configuration program.  It
doesn't do a very good job probing hardware, nor is it very friendly.  I
prefer the 'XFree86 -configure' method because I get an actual idea
about what's wrong with the X config through feedback from X.  You
actually got it to the point where it's trying to start up X, but it
needs fonts now.  You probably have lines in the X config that looks
like this:

     FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"

Since it can't find the 'fixed' font, then I suspect the path to that
font isn't listed.  What I really suspect is happening is there is a
Font Server, and you'll have to put in a line that looks like this:

    FontPath   "unix/:7100"

(That says: look for fonts on this server instead of a path).

I'd also check to see whether debian actually *installed* fonts.  And a
font server, for that matter.  Hopefully, people familiar with debian
are willing to step up and give a hand for distro-specific details.

On a different note, on my redhat system, all I have to do is type
'/usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86' and it worked.  So, your milage may
vary.

TSFNKP, President and Chief Lackey