[wplug] Red Hat kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe...

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Aug 13 16:10:00 EDT 2003

Probably the problem is that the initrd isn't correct for the SMP
kernels.  Boot into a working kernel, and run 'mkinitrd' for the
appropriate kernel image.  For example:

% mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21smp.img 2.4.21smp

Make sure that the initrd you build is the one provided in the
{lilo,grub}.conf.  Also, make sure that the kernel image name you use is
the one for the SMP kernel you can't boot.  If the initrd image already
exists, you may have to move it out of the way or use the -f (force)
option to mkinitrd.

If making a new initrd doesn't work, yet some kernels mount correctly,
you'll have to take a look at what is defined in /etc/modules.conf as
the SCSI and/or RAID controller.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP, President and Chief Lackey