[wplug] Red Hat kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe...

Scott Eicher Scott.Eicher at e-Profile.com
Wed Aug 13 15:54:16 EDT 2003

I am receiving an error after installing Red Hat ES 2.1 on an IBM Netfinity
6000R with dual 700mhz xeon processors and 1gb of ram in it. I also have a
hardware Raid 5 via IBM's ServeRAID. The error only occurs when I choose to
boot to the smp kernel. If I choose to boot to the non-smp kernel it boots
fine and I get to the root prompt.
Here is the error:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major -8 error=2
vfs cannot open root device "sda3"
please append correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic unable to mount root fs

I get this immediately after installing and rebooting. I'm going to submit
this to Red Hat as well but I think I'll get a faster answer from wplug.

Thanks,
Scott